Thursday, August 10, 2006

It strikes me as quite odd that I am oftentimes asked about marriage. That’s right, I am increasingly asked questions concerning any plans for matrimony in the near future.
This strikes me as odd, not only because I am a mere twenty years of age and am a single and fabulous woman, but because never have the bonds of holy wedlock crossed my mind as something to undertake before the age of thirty…if at all.
I guess my question is, what’s the big rush? Yes, marriage does serve as more than a mere title in our society, and has done so throughout history. There are benefits that go along with a marriage license that are certainly helpful to have around. But in this modern day world, where independence and equality are increasingly available, shouldn’t marriage serve as a beautiful addition to an already flourishing relationship? It simply accentuates what is already there, and what should have been built over time, over a long period of time. I can’t imagine marrying anyone with whom I have not lived, or at least spent quite a few years of my life with. I also can’t grasp how people can enter into a contract with another person having not yet fully developed essential components of their character. Send me to Europe, Asia, the Moon… then ask me about marriage.

2 comments:

a said...

I could not agree more. A girl I had a class with just announced her engagement on Facebook. How classy and appropriate. Aside from the fact that she is using a college networking site to announce true love (which to me is like serving caviar on a toilet seat), she is quite an annoying girl. I recall wanting to jam her in the eyeball with a pen. Best of luck to them, I guess.

Allie said...

what a brilliantly witty analogy! Caviar on toilet seats har har.
Your example brings me back to my freshman year prose compostition course in which one of my fellow students was married and living in an apartment with her husband and their poodle puppy, all at the whopping age of 18.
I recall the glowing manner in which she described her domesticity whilst ooozing smug and egrandizing compliments of her dearly beloved. I couldn't help but wonder if she'd made it all up.
Either way,it took quite a bit of effort on my part not to purposefully burst her bubble by quoting divorce rates or somesuch.

sitemeter